Friday 10 November 2017

The Shooting Star




"You're my shooting star." I declared one night, when we were busy making shapes out of constellations in the sky.

"As romantic as that sounds, I think I would have preferred to be your wish come true. Don't you think?" He replied with a glint of amusement in his eyes. I turned towards him and took a moment to kiss his nose before I explained the meaning.

"You know the first time I saw a shooting star was when I went trekking with my friends. The only reason I went up that hill was my hope that I'll be able to watch the clear night sky and probably catch a shooting star. I'd seen it in films you know, and heard people describe it, I was dying to see one and wish upon it. I know it sounds crazy but you obviously know how much I love star gazing. It's real, true love you know. And I was excited about the night sky just like people are about having love in their life. We already know it's going to be amazing. It's already so beautiful in our heads that we even fear of it not living up to our expectations. You're already laughing. You're terrible."

 He kept staring at my face and then caressed my cheek before replying "I'm not laughing. I just love it when you talk so excitedly. I don't think it's crazy at all. I want to know all about it. Go on."

I was obviously so excited that I didn't care even if he thought I was crazy. "So that night I sat outside mesmerized by the sky. It was the first time I was seeing those many stars. I kept blinking my eyes to make myself believe that it was real. I was speechless. I was talking to my friends, still staring up at the sky because I just couldn't take my eyes away, not caring what they were saying and then suddenly, there it was- the most beautiful miracle I'd ever seen. It was just this moment you know, and I knew what I was seeing. It wasn't an illusion. It was the realest thing I'd laid my eyes on. And even then, I knew that I should make a wish. All the while staring at it, for that eternal moment I knew that I should wish but it was just so beautiful that I couldn't care less. It was complete. It didn't need any wishing. I was satisfied. And after that moment passed and I came back to my senses, I knew that I'd never seen anything so beautiful in my life. I understood why people talked about catching falling stars in songs and sonnets. And I also knew that if I ever fall in love, it had to be like that. People want love to heal them and be with them and change them or whatever, just like I was waiting for that star to wish upon it. But that's not their purposes. Neither of the beautiful night sky, nor of love. I knew that if I ever love someone, it should be so magical that I'm unable to look away, just like I couldn't look away from that falling star. And that I'd forget all about it healing me or changing me or even staying with me, I knew that if it were as real as that moment I had just experienced, I'll be too busy marveling in its magic to think about anything else. I know I sound like a romantic teenager but I don't care. I didn't care. And in all these years, all the falling stars that I've watched have only made me more clear. I've never wished upon any. I just smile in that moment trying to capture it in my soul. And with you, as cheesy as it sounds, I know that you're my shooting star. I've tried a hundred times to figure out what we have, to use logic and understand why we're the way we're with each other. But you make me forget all about it. I forget reason and purpose. I don't care if this, what we have, is there for a reason or not, if its here momentarily or eternally, and I couldn't care less. It's so beautiful that I don't want to spoil it finding purpose in it. You, this what we have, is my shooting star. and I'm just going to treasure it."

He kept looking at me for a long time obviously thinking ways to run away from this crazy-head bitch, his hands making slow circles around my navel and then without explaining, he just brought his face closer to mine, leaning in for a kiss, the gentlest kiss of my life.
He shifted both of us so now he was above me and whispered "I didn't want to scare you away by saying those three words but I can't not anymore. I love you so damn much it hurts. And you and me, baby are watching a million more shooting stars together."

2 comments:

  1. I knew that I should wish but it was just so beautiful that I couldn't care less. It was complete. It didn't need any wishing. I was satisfied.

    This got me Hard. I find it to be the best, of all.

    ReplyDelete