Tuesday 24 January 2017

THE TIME I FOUND MY SELF RESPECT ON THE FLOOR



In class 9th, we were once told to pack our bags and shift to another classroom because of some electricity problem or something going on in the school. When we reached that classroom, I saw from the corner of my eye my best friend sitting on a bench and an empty bench beside her. I would like to believe she was saving it for me but she never called out my name. Before I could go and ask her, another friend of ours came and sat on that seat. Since my then BFF didn’t oppose, I assumed she wasn’t saving it for me and got pissed. In a few minutes, everyone settled down except me and two other girls because I realized there were no empty seats anymore. Unfortunately, that room had fewer numbers of benches.  The two other girls ran to a neighbouring classroom and brought chairs for themselves and I followed suit. Just as I was dragging a chair out of that room, my class teacher appeared at the door and enquired what I was doing. When I told her, she got angry and told me to sit on the floor if there is nowhere for me to sit. I did not understand why she said so. I liked that teacher. She was a bit strict, bit rude, but quite headstrong.  I always thought she was one teacher who stood up for the right things and at the right time, but that day I couldn’t understand why she punished me for no fault at all. I was a shy, introvert and under-confident teenager, you know the ones who know the right answers but won’t raise their hands in fear of being wrong?  I was that. You know why I couldn’t ask my friend if she was saving the seat for me? Because I never believed anyone would do it. I wanted people to love me, but was scared of it. Am I making sense?
Nothing made sense that day when I sat on the floor and hugged my school bag to prevent myself from crying. No friend of mine offered to scoot and let me sit with them and I just struggled to remember what had I done that had upset the teacher, was she angry for some other reason? Should I have asked why she humiliated me like that? It might not sound like such a big thing to you, but for a fourteen year old girl with no self respect, confidence, or voice to stand up for herself, it was a deeply insulting incident that stayed with me.
Half an hour later, our science teacher entered the class. This teacher did not like me, she had never done. Unlike my class teacher whose action had surprised me, I wasn’t shocked at all when the first thing this teacher did was to give me a condescending look and smirk. She did not even consider me worthy enough to ask me why I was sitting there. She whispered and asked some other classmates and although there was no reason for it, she gave a satisfied smile on learning the reason. I had never been anything but polite to her and she had never been anything but haughty. I could have been angry, I could have abused her at least in my head. But if I had any sensible voice inside my head back then, I wouldn’t even have accepted that undeserved punishment in the first place.
You know how some incidents affect us only indirectly? They get stored somewhere at the back of our heads play with our emotions. I simply assumed that ‘I don’t deserve’ was the only reason I sat on the floor that day.  I always scored above average, took part in activities and did all that an obedient student was supposed to do, but never could stand up for myself. Never could argue with a teacher or question anything. I didn’t deserve to.
I am pursuing my Masters degree now. Yes, I have become more confident, extrovert and fun, but have I forgotten that incident? No. I can still hear the voice of my class teacher, can visualise the smirk of my haughty science teacher and see the confused but unsympathetic faces of my friends. But yes, over the years I have learned to speak.
At the university, when one of the experienced and popular professors has a lecture, our class usually has more students than the infrastructure allows. So much that we resort to sitting on the window sills, standing at the back of the class, and sitting on the floor. When I entered class today, it was already full. I was almost going to sit on the window sill when a friend said she was going to sit on the floor at the back of the class and I said ‘okay, I’ll join you’. I was used to sitting on the window sill or standing, but when I realized we two were the only people today to sit on the floor, it brought back eight year old memories of a scared, teary eyed girl who felt inferior and rejected and who, I realized today, still lived inside me.
Someone tapped me on the shoulder from behind and said ‘Hey, there could be some space in that row if you request that girl to scoot and let you sit with her. You don’t need to sit on the floor.’ She pointed to someone at the front and although I was overwhelmed with her kindness, I was also overwhelmed with a sudden confidence and self respect. I might have sounded arrogant, but I’d rather sound arrogant to others than worthless to myself. So I smiled at her and said ‘Ah! Everyone saw us sitting on the floor. They could have offered if they wanted to. I’d rather sit here than ask everyone around. Don’t worry!’ After a few minutes, someone actually scooted and offered me to sit with them, and I accepted.

I had worked as a teacher with an NGO last year and do not miss out any chance of telling people about it. Before we had begun our classes, we were told never to enter a class upset. Students usually reflect the teacher’s mood and we should be nothing but energetic and optimistic. We were also told never to belittle a student, his emotions, ambitions or complaints. If we do that, the child only loses the confidence to further confess anything to us and we do not want to do that to any child at such a tender age. I’m glad I learned to leave my own problems outside the classroom and that because of me, no child will take eight years to realize that if it isn’t his fault, he should not be the one crying himself to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment